Sunday, March 18, 2007

false alarm...

So, I went to the hospital the other night. Scott and I kinda thought that it was it.. he had the camera and the camcorder all charged up and ready. We get to labor and delivery, they hook me up to the monitors, and sure enough, I was having good contractions every 3 minutes. I was a little worried about getting there and them just telling me "It's gas. Go home." : ) So, when she confirmed that I was indeed having contractions, I was pretty happy to be validated. haha.

When they checked me, I was only dilated to a 2, and 50% effaced... and the nurse said she could feel his head, but he was not down low enough. Dang it! They kept me for an hour, and slowly, the contractions went from every 3 minutes apart, to every 6, 8, then finally 12 minutes. The whole time the baby was kicking me so hard that the monitors were slipping off my stomach. The nurse said he seemed a bit too happy at this stage in the game! Most babies don't like contractions and sometimes their heartbeats slow down a bit (this is what I was told anyway), yet our little guy apparently likes them. Every time I started to have a contraction, the nurse showed me on the print out that it looked like he started doing aerobics.. his heart beat would jump up and he would start kicking around like a lunatic.

So... I got unhooked from the monitors and was basically told they didn't want to see me again until the contractions hurt so bad that I couldn't talk. She told me "You are way too happy right now to be in active labor.. go home and don't come back until you can't even talk." Can't wait for that...should be a real treat. Isn't that the point of going early?? Getting an epidural before the pain gets that bad? I guess I had it all wrong!

So, the waiting game continues. I'm SOOO done. Scott and I were both talking today about how excited we are just to see him and what he looks like. Every day that goes by feels like an eternity. I tell this to women that already have several children and they look at me like I'm crazy and tell me to enjoy the time in the womb when I can't hear them cry. : )

Scott is out grilling Shishkabobs (sp?)... yuck. Good thing I ate almost an entire crate of strawberries this afternoon. : )

adios

No comments: