The other day as I was leaving class, I was walking out with an older woman (we've bonded because we're the only ones that aren't 19 in the class) and she told me something many people have said before.
How many times have we (young mothers) heard older women say "It goes by so fast, enjoy it now". Well, for some reason, when she told me the story (which I'm about to tell you), I started crying. She started crying. We both sat in the parking lot crying. The culprit of her tears was quite possibly menopause and mine- well, I'm just a sucker for a sweet story and can cry pretty easily. :)
So she is telling me about her kids, a 24 yr old, a 22 yr old, and a 19 yr old (of which they just sent away to college a couple of months ago). She said "I remember those days where I sat on the floor and all my kids were clawing at me and clamouring for my attention."
My mind went back to a few hours before where I felt exactly that way. My children both LITERALLY climb on me all day- (they are needy, I know).
I understood what she meant. She went on.."I just remember begging for some time alone, without being climbed on and kids NEEDING me every second". Again, I understood.
(Flashback to 2 hours earlier, I literally had to shake Brent off my leg so that I could leave the house. I felt TERRIBLE. The kisses and hugs, none of that worked. The only thing that worked was a good shake of my leg and I made a run for the door).
Then she said "My husband travels on business and tonight, for the first time, I sat in an empty house, and ate dinner alone. It was silent. And I thought to myself- This is it. It's over. It's all over. And then I just cried". And as she told me the story, tears were streaming down her face. She ended by saying "I'd trade toddlers climbing on me anyday for a dinner alone in an empty house."
TALK ABOUT gut wrenching! I don't know why it struck a chord with me, but it did. I resolved to be more content with my status as a jungle gym for my children, and enjoy every second of it while it lasts.
ANYWAY. Here are some cute random videos of them. I love that I can post these and my Mom and Dad can watch them. Technology is the best!
Monday, October 19, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
Wow... what a good reminder! I need that....
SO I love this woman! I so feel like that pretty much every day as my kids are doing anything they can to keep my attention! Speaking of which-I am going to try hard to remember this story when I am frustrated and tired(so every day-ha). God bless that sweet lady! Hopefully she will get some grandkids soon!
what a nice reminder! i need to read this everyday!!
Post a Comment