Sunday, January 10, 2010

PEACE OUT, CRIB!!

Brent has never attempted to climb out of his beloved crib. Anytime I suggested that we try and sleep in his "big boy bed", he immediately told us no and would say "Want crib". I was tired of hoisting a 30 something pound kid in a crib several times a day, so we decided enough was enough! :)

We started with nap time and I had to stay in there for about an hour until he let me leave. He requested for me to leave the door open "want door open mommy" (do you have any idea how exciting it is to have him be able to say that?!!? thank heavens for speech therapy..holy moly!). Since then, we haven't looked back. He sleeps like a dream.

Here is a picture of him passed out today after church. Cute little man is still in his white shirt. Yay for big boy beds!

Photobucket

And speaking of talking, his speech therapist is FLOORED at his progress. He started in November at this private clinic that specializes in speech apraxia, and he has come SO SO far. So far, in fact, that she is making hints that he may not even need speech in school. He is totally catching up. It's an answer to prayers. Today when I dropped him off in the nursery at church, he was sitting at the table playing with brown play-doh. He put the play-doh in a medal bowl, held it to his mouth, and said "Mommy! Mmmmmm. This is good cake." I almost started crying right there in the nursery. I was totally floored that he said that.

Then the other day we were at the park. He used to shy away from other kids because he never had any words. An older kid was holding his arms out, blocking his way on the jungle gym. I immediately wanted to jump up and intervene. Instead, I held back and watched to see how Brent would handle it. With his big brown eyes, he marched right up to the 4 year old, pushed his hand out of the way, looked him dead in the eye, and said "STOP IT!". I seriously almost started cheering from the sidelines. He doesn't shy away from the other kids, and it's SOLELY because he has the words now to express himself. We will be forever in debt to Megan McCann at Lucid Speech. She seriously is a miracle worker.

5 comments:

Josie said...

Aw, lady, I'm so happy for you and for Brent and for the new bed. Maybe now he'll wake up and play all morning on his own, right? :) Now you need to get some toddler bunk beds so you can move Sophie up also.

the andersons said...

It's so sweet to hear the happiness and joy in your voice, Morgan... I'm so glad Brent is making such wonderful progress. It's awesome!!

Katie said...

he sure is growing up fast! that's a big step...

shannon said...

It melts my heart to see that big boy sleeping in a toddler bed. I love watching Pal Sleep, creepy huh? He never should have fallen asleep on me on New Year's Eve!! Cute picture!

Susan said...

Woohoo big boy bed! It's great, but they escape more. I'm so glad he's making progress in his speech therapy. Hopefully it'll get a lot easier now that things are looking up.