***I think right before I clicked this picture he yelled "NOOOO!!!". Sometimes he's just not a fan of the camera..
So yesterday was an exciting day. I had a new niece born and the excitement of that clouded my thinking as the day progressed. I was able to go to the hospital and hold her.. (which I could have melted right then and there. There is NOTHING, I mean NOTHING, better than a newborn, complete with their little newborn grunts and silky skin.. YUMMY YUMMY!! Good thing I'm having another one because I am baby hungry again! Is it wrong that I'm already looking forward to being a grandma?????) Whoa. Got a little sidetracked there. Ok. So we get home from the hospital and Sophie is crazy tired. I run the kids in side, run upstairs, put Sophie down for a nap, then run back downstairs and realize that I had left groceries in the car from earlier in the day- good thing they were all non perishable items! The entire time I am talking to my sister on the phone (what's new). So Brent is hanging out inside and I ran into the garage to grab the groceries. I open the door to get back in and IT WAS LOCKED.
No big deal. I told my sister I needed to entice Brent to unlock the door (meanwhile she was laughing on the other end of the phone because she heard it all go down). I said "BRENT!!" His sweet little voice said, "What Mommy?" I said "Unlock the door. OK? Unlock it so mommy can come inside." He said "Ok Mommy". And then I heard him fumbling with the door and growing more and more frustrated. I spent the next 20 minutes coaxing him to unlock it. Eventually he was sobbing, yelling for me, and then he just disappeared. It was then that I realized I could be in trouble.
Scott just so happened to be working in downtown LA that day, so because of afternoon traffic, I had no hope of him getting home anytime soon. I went around the house trying to figure out how I could get in. Unfortunately, my house is practically FORT KNOX. Because of my uber-paranoia, I have our house completely locked down, complete with a pipe in the sliding door in our kitchen.
I wandered over to my neighbors house, a fellow stay at home Mom, and we both scratched our heads as she tried to ring our door bell and coax Brent to unlock the front door, which was to no avail. She finally looked at me and said "Um..I think you need to call the police. He could be upstairs drinking bleach for all you know." Luckily, my house is super child proofed, so I knew the worst that he could be doing was playing in my makeup, or sitting in Scott's office in the midst of crashing our computer.
I finally called the dispatcher for the police and told her the story. She said because of the age of my kids she would send an officer RIGHT AWAY. Oh and P.S. "Right Away" equated to 45 minutes. In the meantime, I am calling Scott who was calling locksmiths in town. The locksmith said he wouldn't be able to get to our house for over 2 hours. That does a whole lot of good with 2 toddlers locked inside. I knew Sophie would be waking up soon and would be ticked off. I also was starting to worry about Brent because I knew at this point, he had to assume he had been abandoned. Poor guy.
Then the thought occurred to me to call Scott's little brother. He is a deputy for the same police department for the county we live in. I figured he could do whatever the cop would do. So luckily Trevor came to save the day. He showed up before the cop did. And did I mention he can scale walls like spiderman? It was kinda freaky.
Trevor hopped our back gate (which I had locked with a padlock) and started attempting to get in somewhere. Meanwhile the cop rolls up. Once he figured out my brother in law was a cop with his department, and my father in law was a Sergeant with his department, he became EXTRA helpful. But he definitely wasn't as limber as Trevor. He tried to jump the back fence and I seriously laughed outloud. I had to bring my hand to cover my face to muffle the laughs. He DEFINITELY wasn't spiderman. And he broke our fence in the process. After a while longer, the Cop comes back around and says "Well, here is what this boils down to. Do you want to buy a new door and door frame, or do you want to buy a new window?" He was ready to just bust down the door or break the window. I looked at him and said "Um.. NEITHER." Just in time, the front door opens!!!! My hero brother in law had somehow gotten on our second story (I'm telling you, he's spiderman) and Sophie's window was unlocked. This was alarming to me because I take great pride in my LOCK DOWN abilities to secure our house.... :)
Meanwhile, our neighbors on our little cul-de-sac were conveniently walking out of their house looking at me and the cop. It took everything I had not to yell over at them "MY HUSBAND BEATS ME!!!" because who knows what they thought was going on.
So we had a happy ending. No broken down doors. No smashed windows. Trevor saved the day because of his freakish wall scaling abilities. Good thing he happened to have the day off.
And guess where Brent was the entire time? In our bed. Sound asleep. HE NEVER naps unless I force him to. The only thing I can think of is that he was scared and that was the only place he felt safe- our bed. Poor guy. Meanwhile, Sophie woke up with a startle when a man came crashing through her bedroom window. She was a bit traumatized! I don't think she recognized him as her Uncle- she only saw him as a freakishly tall man busting through her window.
And the cop? Wanna know what he said to me as he left? "See ya in a few months when you lock them in the car!!"
Punk!
1 comment:
poor brent! fast asleep, i bet he was so scared!
Post a Comment