Monday, March 01, 2010

Eye Opening

I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer, but I think it is important to hear the "sad stuff" every now and then. In all actuality, if someone sends me a link and says "Go watch this video- it's SO SAD" I typically won't watch it. I don't like sad stuff. I don't like to be depressed. However, there is a difference between depressing and informing. Anyway, a 17 year old honor student disappeared on Thursday in a town near us. She went running at 2 in the afternoon in a park near her house. They arrested a registered sex offender today from Lake Elsinore for her murder and rape. Lake Elsinore is a town that runs into our town- for all you Texans and Utahns, it's the equivalent of Bryan/College Station, or Provo and Orem. Knowing there was someone capable of that living so close is just creepy.

The area this story happened in is very close to where we live, a place I would assume is ULTRA safe, a place where I would let my 17 year old go jogging alone at 2 in the afternoon. But in this day and age, apparently one can never be too careful. Ladies, DON'T GO RUNNING ANYWHERE ALONE- unless you are on a treadmill, or running in broad daylight around your own cul-de-sac! Scott won't ever let me go jogging around our neighborhood at night. I thought he was crazy (besides, who is gonna want to kidnap my fluffy, greasy headed, sweaty self?!) But now I see it's better safe than sorry. You can bet that if Sophie ever ends up being a runner, she won't be allowed to go alone. This story is so sad and unfortunate.

2 comments:

Heidi Noel said...

What about Nevadans? That is why I have had a hard time getting in shape. I literally don"t feel safe running anywhere. I was so envious of my sisters and their marathon goals because I couldn't even dream of it. I worry about taking the trash to the curb. Thanks for the post.

Katie said...

that is so sad. i actually saw that on the news, but i had no idea that it was so close to where you guys live.