
I have NEVER in my life had a child as sick as Brent is right now. He is sick beyond sick, and we are going on a day 3 of high fevers, not eating or drinking, and laying pathetically in bed. He can hardly even lift his head. It is pathetic. Even when I change his diaper he just cries and whimpers. He will randomly look at me and cry "Owie!! Owie!"
The pediatrician told us he has "Herpangina"- Here is what google says about it:
* Herpangina is a viral illness in which ulcers and sores (lesions) form inside the mouth, and there is a sore throat and fever
*Fever
Headache
Loss of appetite
Sore throat, or painful swallowing
Ulcers in the mouth and throat, and similar sores on the feet, hands, and buttocks
The ulcers usually have a white to whitish-gray base and a red border. They may be very painful. Generally, there are only a few sores.
*Herpangina is typically caused by Coxsackie group A viruses.
The number of cases of herpangina is unknown, but it is a common childhood infection. It is most often seen in children ages 3 - 10, but it can occur in any age group. Cases of herpangina at school or in the neighborhood increase the chances that your child will develop the illness.
The laymans term for this is Hand-Foot-and-Mouth Disease. The pediatrician said he should feel better within a week (he got it Saturday night, so we are thinking by Friday he should be on the up and up). We can't get his fever below 101-102 and it usually is lingering around 103. The poor kid is pitiful. I would do anything to take it from him so he didn't have to suffer! Scott and I feel so helpless.
Now the problem we are having is he is refusing to take any medicine. He had an ear infection on top of it and I tried to give him antibiotics this morning and he started gagging and threw them up all over me.
aughgh! I'm sure you mothers that have tons of kids are thinking "Boo-hoo! Kids get sick!" But this kid has never even had an ear infection before (the pediatrician called him an OX yesterday). Sophie is our sickly one! We're not used to our loud and rambunctious little man being so down and out.
Now we are just hoping Brent didn't infect any of his cousins on Saturday night! I wouldn't wish this sickness on anyone- especially my nieces! (All you adults are in the clear- the dr. said adults are pretty resistant to it).
IN OTHER NEWS....
WE HAVE DECIDED ON A NAME FOR OUR NEWEST BABY GIRL. Well, we've decided on part of her name! Lily Crabtree sounds like the perfect name for a little girl, doesn't it? And Lily is more than a cute name- my Grandma is named Lillie Faye Hopkins, so I think it is neat that the name has meaning. She will be named after one of the kindest, most giving Southern women that I've ever known. I don't think I've ever heard my Grandma Lillie Faye utter a bad word about anyone, and she doesn't know a stranger. If I can't live in Texas, then I'm bringing a piece of Texas, and my Grandma, to California! I hope our little Lily grows up to be as spectacular as her Great-Grandma Lillie Faye Hopkins! We are still in deliberations for a middle name. But at least we have a start!
2 comments:
love Lily!
Poor Bubba! I wish I could come over and cuddle that boy!
Post a Comment