
I pretty much gave birth to 2 babies in one week. For all of you who haven't heard the crazy story, here it is..
Back in May I started having kidney stone issues. Because I was pregnant, they weren't able to do a CT Scan to find out exactly where the stone was. They were pretty sure I had a stone, but weren't positive because all they could do was ultrasound my kidneys and ultrasounds don't typically pick up stones (or so the doctors told me). Back in May I was pretty sure I had passed the stone because after about 2 weeks, my pain went away.
But randomly, every few weeks, I would hurt again. But then it would go away. Then the pain would come back. Then go away. IT WAS DRIVING ME LOONEY!
At one point I started wondering if it was ALL in my head! I mean, the doctors had never technically said you for SURE have a stone, here is how big it is, here is it's location, etc. Because of the pregnancy, all I ever got was "We think you have a stone, but that's all we know.."
Well fast forward to this past week. I was discharged from the hospital with Lily on Sunday. Thursday night I started feeling the dang kidney pain again. I pushed it out of my mind. Friday night it came back with a vengeance and I was doubled over in pain. I went to the emergency room where I was SO nervous they would come back and say "Lady, you're crazy! There is nothing wrong with your kidneys!" Instead, after waiting for 6 hours, the doctor walks in the room with his mouth hanging open and said "Not only do you have a kidney stone, but you have a GIANT kidney stone that will have to be surgically removed. I can not believe you are sitting here talking to me, fully conscious. Most people would be rolling around on the floor."
Little did he know, I had already done the majority of my "rolling on the floor in pain" a few months ago! Anyway, I followed up with my doctor on Saturday, he saw the CT Scans, immediately called the urologist on call, and they said "You are having surgery tonight! Meet the urologist at the hospital- go straight there."
I got in the car and could not believe it was all happening so fast. I was relieved that this was FINALLY getting taken care of, but I JUST had gotten out of the hospital and was not prepared to go BACK. I had a newborn baby who I was nursing, my emotions were running wild, and I felt like such a burden on my husbands family who would once again have to watch my kids because of ME.
My sister in law and mother in law are wonderful and jumped in, no questions, and mothered my kids while Scott met me at the hospital. They got the ball rolling and I was wheeled in to surgery at about midnight.
I was put under general anesthesia and apparently made a FOOL of myself. I was sobbing uncontrollably when I woke up in the recovery room and the nurses told me I caused quite the ruckus! I apparently woke up and was asking the typical "WHO ARE YOU, WHERE AM I, WHERE IS MY HUSBAND, WHERE ARE MY KIDS, WHAT AM I DOING HERE, WHY ARE YOU TOUCHING ME" nonsense! I spent the night Saturday night and was able to come home Sunday morning.
Because the stone had been lodged for so many months, my right kidney was tripled the size it should have been and I had massive amounts of fluid backed up. They went in and put a stent in my kidney to help drain out some of the fluid. I have to go back next Friday for yet another surgery where they will go in and actually remove the stone. They couldn't do both in the same procedure.
And now? I FEEL FABULOUS! I hated "pumping and dumping" in the hospital and was stressed about that situation, but I finally got the ok from Lily's pediatrician to resume nursing today. I'm so sick of MEDICAL DRAMA and I'm so glad I am finally PREGNANCY FREE and KIDNEY STONE FREE (well, almost kidney stone free!).
We are so thankful for all the meals and well wishes.. I'm sure everyone is thinking "WHAT IS WRONG WITH HER NOW?!?!?!" A baby and then a few days later a surgery! I'm so relieved it's all over with.
The urologist said this was most likely caused from dehydration- the #1 culprit of kidney stones. He said with being pregnant, in the summer, and probably dehydrated it was the perfect storm. But since I've gotten one, I am more likely to get more in the future. And because of that, I have officially said my goodbyes to Diet Coke (I haven't been drinking them while nursing anyway) and I am ok with my farewell! I will now be drinking about 3 liters of water a day...the dr said that is the best way to prevent this from happening again! So, I may be on the toilet all day, but hopefully I'll never have another beast of a kidney stone!
Lily is doing wonderful! She is SUCH a good baby and I think we finally may have a calm baby! :) She hardly ever makes a peep and is so laid back. We just love her to pieces.
3 comments:
You're amazing! I hope things settle down for you now and I hope you get some rest. Enjoy your new sweet little Lily! She's beautiful.
Lily is so cute. And I'm so glad that this will hopefully all be over soon. I cannot even imagine having to go through all that!!
I.want.her!
Post a Comment