Tuesday, April 03, 2012

5

Our little boy turns 5 tomorrow. I'm trying to wrap my brain around the fact that his sweet soul has been in our family for 5 years. It seems like it has gone by in a flash, yet at the same time, it seems like I've known him forever.

I've said it before, but I'll never forget strapping our newborn baby in the carseat and driving home from the hospital. We put his carseat in the car and I crawled in the backseat next to him. As the hospital faded in the distance, I looked over at the chubby-cheeked 10 pound baby boy that we were entrusted with, and I was overwhelmed with emotion. I was overwhelmed that Heavenly Father trusted me with a baby boy. I was overwhelmed with the responsibility, overwhelmed with love, overwhelmed with fear, and overwhelmed with the pain I felt (cause, let's get real, pushing out a 10 pound baby WAS NOT FUN...)

Once we arrived home, I'll never forget standing in our bathroom, and looking at Scott. We didn't say a word, we just sat there staring at each other, taking in the events of the birth of our son. The birth itself was so traumatic, I don't think either of us had time to process anything until we had left the hospital. I'll never forget seeing Scott's lips tremble as his eyes filled with tears. He didn't have to say a word- I knew that he was feeling it too- the overwhelming, unconditional love that can't be described until you're a parent.

Now that 5 years have passed, that overwhelming feeling still creeps up. There are times when I feel like time stands still as I look at my brown eyed boy, overwhelmed with love, gratitude, and responsibility. He is everything I'd hoped for and more. He is caring, gentle, sensitive, empathetic, and smart. We love our little man child.

This is what a 10 lb 8 oz baby looks like! Now that I've given birth to an 8 pounder and 7 pounder, I realize how massive he was!!



Leaving the hospital...about 5 minutes after this picture, the tears were flowing!


He was such a cute little baby!



I've started a new little tradition of birthday interviews with my kids. Here is what Brent had to say- I did NOT coach any of these answers, it would ruin the integrity of the process! Although, I must say, there were times when I wanted to say, "REALLY Brent?? That is NOT your favorite book, color, etc.." Some of his answers cracked me up!

What is your favorite color? Black (that was news to me!)
What is your favorite toy? dumptruck
What is your favorite thing about Sophie? That she is my friend
Lily? Being her friend
What is your favorite TV show or movie? Phineas and Ferb
What is your favorite thing to eat for lunch? Sandwich, chips, and fiber one bars
What is your favorite snack? goldfish
What is your favorite animal? Kitty cats
What is your favorite song? “Choose the Right”
What is your favorite book? Phineas and Ferb book
Who is your best friend? Sophie, Lily, Daddy
Where is your favorite place to go? To the City (whatever that means?? He acts like we live in the country!)
What would you like to learn more about now that you’re 5? Books
What do you love about yourself? That I play on the computer
What does Daddy do at work? Works
What do you like to take to bed with you at night? Buzz Lightyear
What is your favorite thing to eat for breakfast? Fiber One Bars and Apples
What do you pray about? To help me Choose the Right
What do you want to be when you grow up? A teacher (again, news to me!!!)
What do you like to learn about? Jesus
What are you scared of? Monsters
If you could go anywhere you wanted, where would you want to go? Wendy’s. And Texas.




2 comments:

Katie said...

I love that he wants to come to Texas (to see me, of course!) Happy Birthday Brent!!

shannon said...

I love that I get to be in this kid's life. He is so special and has such an amazing spirit. It's also creepy how smart he is. Happy Birthday to Sweet Brent aka Bubba Pal Man child.