Sunday, August 19, 2012
Kindergarten and other random musings..
The night before the first day of school, Scott and I both found ourselves laying in bed, both obviously nervous. Our baby was off to school the next morning and while I was so happy, the thought of it made me want to vomit! I didn't sleep well that night and apparently neither did Brent. When I opened my eyes at 5:45 in the morning he was standing next to our bed, wide eyed, asking, "Is it time for kindergarten?"
I made a big, celebratory breakfast and Scott and I both couldn't eat. Funny how that works, huh? The parents are the ones with butterflies, not the 5 year old! We walked down to school and when I walked onto the playground and saw two of my friends from church (who also had their sons starting kindergarten), my lip started trembling as I fought back tears.
When the bell rang and the kindergarten teachers called for their classes to line up behind them, Brent looked like a deer in headlights. He reached for me as his eyes filled with tears (mine were too, but my sunglasses hid that fact). I assured him that it was ok and that I would be back in 3 1/2 hours for him (thank GOODNESS for half day kindergarten)!! He did so good and I could tell he was nervous but held it together, and so did I. Luckily Scott puts on a brave face, even though I knew he was every bit as nervous as me...it helped me to hold it together.
To make a long story short, he did great and couldn't wait to go back the next day! I feel like I've entered into a new era of my life. I'm no longer a Mom of all young kids where we could go where the wind took us that day; I've got a child that I am legally bound to get to school every day. Oh, did I mention school starts at 7:40 in the flipping morning? I think they are trying to kill me.
When I picked him up Friday, we had an interesting exchange.
Me: "Did you make any friends today?"
Brent: "Yeah, I made friends with a boy who wears glasses."
Me: "Oh good! What's his name?"
Brent, shrugging: "I don't know. But I think I'm going to call him Alex".
It made me laugh so hard! I encouraged that maybe instead of making up a name for this poor kid, maybe he should ASK him what his name is.
After we dropped off Brent, I had to run home and get Sophie ready for dance. Lily is a complete photobomber these days. If she sees me taking a picture of one of the other kids, she runs in and will stand there and smile. Stinker!
Lily turned 2 on the 14th!! It sounds so cliche but this kid brings SO much joy into our home. She's such a happy thing and is always smiling. She is also turning into quite a clown and trouble maker. She LOVES her big brother and sister and they love her back (although most of the time Sophie simply tolerates her whereas Brent actually will play with her). She's still has quite an attachment with her binky, but I'm thinking we'll let it hang around a few more months. I can't believe she's 2.
We went to celebrate at an indoor play gym and she had a ball!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
My eyes filled with tears as I read your thoughts/experience with Brent starting kindergarten...I am going to freak out sending Ethan next year (it is for a full day here). You are a rockstar for putting on a brave face!
Post a Comment