Wednesday, September 27, 2006

I want cake...

So, in a previous post, I talked about how I conned Scott into letting me buy cake mixes for "food storage purposes"... well, Scott is off playing golf. I'm hungry. I am about 20 minutes from turning my stomach into FOOD STORAGE and making a CAKE! I need to stop it. I need to stop talking about it before I actually do it..

So, I work with the cutest Filipino girl named Lenie. (I learned from her that it's Filipino NOT Phillipino as I used to say.. she put me in my place with that). Anyway, she made this recipe called "Caldereta". HOLY COW. It was so dang good. She brought some to work and I decided I was going to make it.

No kidding- these were some of the questions I had to ask her before I could cook it... she was probably regretting the fact that she gave me her home phone number if I had any questions..

1. "How the heck do you mince garlic?"
2. "How do I cut up this bell pepper?"
3. "Olives?!?! There's 50 kinds of them!"
4. " Potato?? There like 3 kinds of potatoes..."
5. "Are you kidding me? A roast? Umm.. I am sitting here at the grocery store and there's like 50 kinds of meat. It all looks "roastish" to me??"
6. "Is there really a difference in vegetable oil and olive oil?"
7. "This is looking kinda runny.. can't I throw in a bunch of corn starch in there to thicken it or something? I remember my mom saying corn starch thickens things..." (so which I had a screaming Filipino lady yelling at me "NO CORN STARCH" on the other end of the phone...)

I must have been M.I.A when my mom was trying to teach us how to cook growing up.
It's pretty pathetic. I can make tacos, spaghetti, stir fry, sloppy joes, taco salad, and that's about it. If scott wants something different than the above foods, then he has to make it because I can't!

Anyway. It was an interesting night. I started cooking at 5:30 and was not done until 8:00. No kidding. Scott liked it and I took some to work and they liked it too! I guess it was a success.. I'm liking this whole ethnic cooking thing! Basically you cut up beef and let it simmer in onions, garlic, tomatoes, and olive oil. You have to let it cook about an hour to get the beef tender, then you add olives, bell pepper, bay leaves, tomato sauce... then let it cook for another hour, then last you add potatoes and let it simmer some more. It was excellent! I'm quite proud of myself.

I'm really worried. Sorry Scott- I know you will read this sometime- but I'm not saying anything I haven't told you. : ) So, Scott has about another year left before he gets his MBA. He's knocked out a year- it's gone by pretty quick. I'm getting pretty tired of him never getting home.. but I keep telling myself the end is near! Well, this quarter he is taking finance and some human resources class... now, he told me he had a hard time in UNDERGRAD with finance. Soooo, now he gets to take finance for MBA students- a 600 level class that is taught by an INDIAN FRESH OFF THE BOAT. Poor scott. So that's why I'm worried. I mean nothing racially offensive by this, but COME ON. It ticks me off when universities hire professors that are fresh off the boat from WHATEVER country they are from and the poor students can't undertand them. I had my experience with that.. which I like to use as an excuse for one of the reasons I failed College Algebra for the 2nd Time.. haha. : ) I will never forget, she pronounced ALGEBRA- "EL-HA-BRAH".

Alright. I think I might go tie myself to something so I can't make cake.

1 comment:

Em said...

You're so funny. Do you need me to come be your chef? I'll bake you all kinds of cakes.