Yes, I need to be medicated. Seriously. And I better do it quick before Scott divorces me. : ) just kidding.
My anxiety on the freeways is totally out of control. At least I realize I am being completely crazy. We woke up at 4:00 this morning. The goal was to be out of the house by 4:30, be on the road, and be dressed and ready for the 6:00 a.m session at the San Diego temple. This week is our stake's temple week. They are calling it "An Offering in Righteousness". The whole point of this was to make sacrifices. For some, they had to take off work to devote a day at the temple. For others, they had to arrange child care. For me, I had to not use the bathroom for 2 hours at a time. I know that almost sounds blasphemous, but seriously- it was a sacrifice.
So, they challenged us to set aside one day and spend it doing endowment after endowment session. They asked us to do 5 in one day- back to back, with a break for lunch. I decided I might as well give it a whirl while my child is still in the womb... after he is born, who knows if I will ever be able to do this again.
So, our morning started bright and early. I woke up quite easily and so did Scott. We didn't make it out the door until 4:45, then we had to go pick up his mom, then run by the bank, and we probably didn't make it on the freeway until 5:00.
This is where my anxiety kicked in. Did I mention it was POURING RAIN?! Californians don't know how to drive in rain- Texans on the other hand are professional rain drivers. : ) Especially if you are living in the College Station vicinity where it seems to rain all of the time. I'm getting off topic.. so I am nervous from the get-go because of the rain. Then, you throw in the fact that Scott is holding chocolate milk and a granola bar, eating and drinking, steering in the pouring rain with his LEGS, on a jam packed 1-15 freeway, just in time for the morning commute at 5:00 for people that work in San Diego. I was a mess. I tried really hard to just not look and close my eyes and go to sleep. But it didn't work. I was clutching my seat, gasping every few seconds, and making sure Scott saw every brake light that I did. I was also staring at Scott just counting down the seconds until he was finished with his morning SNACK and could drive with his hands instead of his legs. He doesn't seem to think it's a big deal. People are driving like maniacs, and we passed a few horrible accidents with smashed in cars. I seriously got to the point where I was ready to blindfold, gag, and throw myself in the trunk of the car. : )
We made it there all in one piece, needless to say, but didn't make the 6:00 session. We made it to the 6:30 session and did 3 sessions back to back. It was actually very nice. I thought it would be impossible and get redundant, but I was amazed at new things I picked up each time. And each session seemed to go by more quickly than the previous. I did take a break between sessions to go hide in the dressing room locker stall to eat a granola bar. But, we didn't make the 5 session challenge.. my tailbone just couldn't hang with it. My the 3rd session my back felt like it was going to crack from the weight of my belly... so we called it quits. I couldn't think of a better way to spend my morning though. It was so peaceful and nice.
And, I couldn't help the selfish thought that came into my head while I was sitting in the session that maybe Heavenly Father would bless a 9 month along pregnant woman with an easy labor in exchange for doing 3 sessions back to back???? I hope I don't get struck down.
Wednesday, February 28, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
It must be a Hopkins thing..I hate when Brian drives in the rain and he hates it more when I am driving with him in the rain:) The Lord blessed us with epidurals! I like to think He has a sense of humor!
Morgan, that was one of the funniest things I've read in a while...easy labor in exchange for Temple service. :) I guess you never know, so better safe than sorry!
Post a Comment