Monday, August 04, 2008




So, we're still alive.. barely. :) Just kidding. You forget how hard life is with a newborn until you are knee deep in it! The past week has been a bit of a whirlwind. Luckily, the recovery from the C-Section has been pretty fast. I'm amazed at the incision- you can't even tell hardly that it is there! It's nuts. I still have trouble getting out of bed, but the past 2 nights I have slept in my own bed instead of the recliner. Sophie is a sweet little baby but she is not very interested in eating- EVER. All she wants to do is sleep and it is practically World War 3 trying to keep her awake to eat anything. Because of that she has been losing alot of weight and the pediatrician was really worried. She lost an entire pound and was down to 7lbs 3 oz on Thursday. They gave Scott and I 2 days to get some more weight on her. So Friday and Saturday we were shoveling food down her gullet like crazy. We were so worried if she lost more weight they would admit her to the hospital or something. Luckily, when we took her on Thursday our efforts had paid off and she had gained 13 ounces in TWO days, and was back up to 8 pounds. I guess the trick for me is just pumping and feeding her in a bottle so we can see exactly how much she is getting. Breastfeeding is a constant thorn in my side and I'm taking it one day at a time! I'm still hanging in there...hopefully this time next week I can say the same thing!

Saturday when Scott and I had to take Sophie to the pediatrician, the offices are hooked on to the actual hospital. I wasn't too thrilled about having to take a newborn through the emergency room waiting room to get to the office, but oh well. As we are in the elevator going up, this nasty woman is glaring at me. She goes "How old is your baby?" I told her "5 days." She looks at me again and goes "Why do you have her in public? Don't you think she's a little young to have out and about?" I wanted to smack her. I wanted to answer sarcastically, "Yeah. We like to take our newborn out and stroll around in germ infested hospitals for kicks. We think its fun." Instead I bit my tongue and said, with a bit of hostility in my voice "She had to come to the doctor. That is why she is here." People drive me nuts! And I had some other crazy lady running up and wanting to touch her. My mama bear instincts kicked in and was backing up as the lady was approaching me. I don't have a problem anymore telling strangers HECK NO when they want to get a "closer look" at your newborn. This is precisely why new mothers hole up for the first few weeks- there are too many crazies out there!

My parents flew in on Saturday and they have already been such a huge help. Brent is LOVING all of the extra attention. I haven't had time for many pictures, but here are a few!

2 comments:

Katie said...

Oh, so cute! I love the black and white look... She looks a lot like Brent to me. Keep keepin' the crazies away from her!

Mom of 2 Cuties said...

She is a beautiful little girl! I want to see her!