Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Bad Mom

Do you ever have those days where you just feel like a bad mom?! Today was one. I felt like I had ZERO patience and everything that could go wrong, went wrong. We cut Brent cold turkey off the bottle- yes, he was still drinking a morning and night time bottle. (Melodee, I figured if Kyle could do it, so can Brent!) I think Scott and I were holding on to it more than he was- he loves it so much and it was hard to take that from him! But he is 17 months old and when it's time, it's time. He luckily didn't care at all last night. However this morning, he FREAKED out. That was just the beginning. Actually, it started with me eating poptarts for breakfast...that's when you know it's gonna be a bad day. :)

So he flipped a lid when I gave him a sippy cup because, of course, he was expecting a bottle this morning. He was so mad he refused to eat breakfast..which is one of the few meals he eats lately. The kid has started to refuse to eat ANYTHING. He seriously lives off of yogurt, fruit (pears, grapes, oranges, peaches, blackberries, plums- he loves it ALL), tomatoes- wait, tomatoes are a fruit, nutrigrain bars, and goldfish. That is all he eats- not joking. He used to eat EVERYTHING. He would even eat TUNA for crying out loud! Something snapped in his little brain and he is so picky it's not even funny.

So rather than fighting with him, I just give in and after he chucks the food from his tray that he refuses, I cave and give him fruit or yogurt and he's happy. Not today.

I decided it was time for Brent Boot Camp and if we were kicking the bottle (5 months too late), then we needed to nip this food issue in the rear! Needless to say, he did not eat a THING ALL DAY LONG. He refused his waffle for breakfast, so instead of giving him fruit, after he threw his waffle across the kitchen, I told him breakfast is over, and we went to play in the family room. I figured by lunch time he would be starving. I tried to give him chicken at noon. What did he do? THREW it across the kitchen. Once again, I told him that was that, and off he went for a nap. I figured- ok.. this kid will be starving by dinner and he will eat what I give him. Did he eat? Nope. Threw it across the room. So all he had was a sippy cup of milk all day long.

My pediatrician told me that toddlers will not starve themselves to death, and when he was hungry that he would eat. So I trusted him and Scott and I told ourselves that if he once again refused dinner, then that just meant he would for sure eat breakfast tomorrow!

Well, all day he was fussy. He is getting 3 teeth at once. I took away his beloved bottle. He smacked his sister in the face, and got yelled at by me. He spent what seemed like half the day in his little time out area (where he goes for a whopping 1 to 2 minutes). He ate nothing. I felt like I spent all day frusturated at him for not eating and telling him "no no" so much that he is walking around saying "Na Na" for no no. I went to a weight watchers meeting at 6:30 and on my way home I felt so bad for him and caved and drove through stinkin Wendy's and got him some nuggets. How's that for healthy? Poor kid. He shoved them in his mouth like he was STARVING. I tried to give him chicken earlier in the day and he refused. So maybe it worked a little bit?? I don't know. I feel so bad knowing he is going hungry during the day, but at the same time, we've got to do something about his refusal to eat anything but fruit and yogurt!

Then, as I was bathing Sophie tonight, I turned her over to wash her little bum and all of a sudden she flailed suddenly, and I realized when I flipped her over she was not holding her head up. Her head was face down in the water. Holy cow. I don't know how it happened other than that she must have been slanted downwards. I freaked out and she wasnt breathing- she eventually caught her breath and screamed a scream like I've NEVER heard. I was so upset. She is ok, but I was the one in tears later on when all was said and done. So, about 10 minutes after this ordeal, I am rocking her (apologizing for dunking her head in the water), we are both finally calmed down and she is gazing up at me sweetly. She put her head on my chest as I opened my mouth to yawn. Right as I did that she reared her head up suddenly and my front tooth gauged into her head. Again...she screamed a scream I STILL had not heard up until that point. After that, I wanted to throw my hands up and end the day... my poor sophie has been mauled by her brother, has had a nasty cold, has been dunked under water, and finally had my tooth jammed into her head- all in her 6 weeks of life. WHAT COULD HAPPEN NEXT?! Actually.. I don't even wanna think about that..

Here's hoping that tomorrow..
1)Starts off with an egg, cereal, or ANYTHING other than a poptart :)
2)Brent will get off his anorexia kick
3)Brent will also realize that milk CAN be enjoyed in something other than a bottle
4)That Sophie is not severely injured by myself or her brother
5)That I can end the day with a smile!!

This motherhood business is hard work sometimes! I REALLY am trying to find "joy in the journey" and realize they grow so fast. But man alive, sometimes it gets a little hairy in the Crabtree house. I'm not gonna lie...

4 comments:

Katie said...

Poor Sophie!! What a day... it's nice that babies are so quick to forgive and forget and love you the next second like nothing ever happened. I am still going to call CPS though.

Mom of 2 Cuties said...

I hope you have a better day and that Brent eats for you!

Mel said...

We all have those days. You're NOT a bad mom. Kyle STILL expects his bottle, after almost a week of cold turkey. He knows where they are, and throws a mini-fit every time I give him milk in the sippy cup instead. I worry about him getting dehydrated, but I don't think he'd let it get that bad and neither will Brent. He'll eat if he gets hungry enough. You just keep presenting him with the choice. By the way, why can't I click on your profile and be your friend on facebook?

Diana said...

Hi Morgan-I love to read your posts. I can relate to so many things, or maybe different things but I can relate to the frusterations and eating dilemas. I should call you. You'd be surprised at the life we live with our little Derek. But it is nice to relate to a fellow mommy. Take care.