Friday, January 23, 2009

MERCY!!!!!

Man alive.

So, not to toot my own horn, but I am typically a patient person (TOOT TOOT!). Well, I take that back- in social settings I tend to be patient. For instance, standing in lines, waiting in restaurants, waiting on hold...etc. I can handle waiting on people pretty decently.

Today, however, I just about gave myself a hernia.

First of all, this is purely my fault in the respect that if I wouldn't have PLAYED my days away in college, I would have gotten my degree many moons ago. But, I chose to play, and my transcript looks something like this

B
C
D
F
F
W- dropped
W-dropped
W-dropped
A
D
D
D
C
W-dropped
W-dropped
A

See? I have some A's. But LOTS AND LOTS Of W's and F's and D's to go along with them.

At least I had fun!

But now, 4 years later, I am limping along (with 2 kids to boot), and STILL trying to finish. I'm gonna toot my own horn and tell you that I now have a 4.0. I'm not kidding. I've retaken ALOT of stuff, and before I had kids, I was working full time and would take one class every semester. I took last semester off because of Sophie, and now school is back in full swing. I start on Monday. And I'm not looking forward to it. But for once, I can actually see the finish line. I can taste it. And I'm going for it... kids and all.

So, I am getting to the point of my story. This is getting entirely too long.

Today I had to go buy books. I got a book advance from financial aid that pays for my books, but will just get taken out of my financial aid. So I trot up to the school this afternoon. It took me 30 minutes to get there (crazy Californians can't drive in the rain!). First stop was enrollment services. I had a question I needed answered, so I took my place at the end of the line. It moved S L O W L Y... and 30 minutes later I made my way to the front of the line.

The nice lady answered my question and then asked if I needed a student ID because I didn't have one. I really didn't have the time (I had crying babies at home with Scott) and I asked if I absolutely had to have one, or if I could get it later. She said "Oh, you don't have to have one. But if you want one, we can do it right now." I looked at her and said, "Are you sure I don't NEED it for anything?" She said "No. You don't need it. It's good to have one, but you don't HAVE to have one." I looked at my watch and said "I will do it later..I don' t have alot of time."

Next stop- the bookstore. On my way Scott calls and informs me that both of the kids were crying and he didn't know what to do. I added a little bounce in my step and told him I would be home soon.

The bookstore was insane and I finally found the books I needed. I am taking western civilization class and there were only THREE books left, but I grabbed one of the last 3, relieved, along with the others I needed, and went on to stand in another SLOW line. Thirty more minutes later, I went to check out. I handed the nice lady my book advance form from the financial aid office and she goes "Ok. I need your student ID."

I dropped my umbrella, looked at her, and said "Huh?"

"Yeah, I need your student ID. I can't do anything without it."

I looked at her, and VERY INPATIENTLY said "You are kidding, right? You've got to be kidding me. I just stood in line for 30 minutes at Enrollment Services and they told me I didn't need a student ID."

The lady, who is not so nice anymore, said "Don't snap at me ma'am. This is not my policy. I don't know why they told you that. You have to have a student ID for any book advances."

I wanted to break something (that's right) but instead I gritted my teeth, picked up my umbrella, and asked her to hold the books for me. She replied with "Well, we close in 15 minutes. There is no way you will have time, but good luck."

I have never been so livid in my life. Yeah- my 25 years of waiting patiently in lines was OVER and I wanted to punch someone!

Did I mention it was raining?

So I walk BACK to the enrollment office, thinking MAYBE just MAYBE there was no line. No such luck. The line was OUT the door. I stood outside, in the rain, in the dumb line and was so stinkin mad! Guess what? I look up through my fumes, and the lady that had previously told me I didn't need a student ID just happened to be walking past me. I was on the phone with Scott, hung up on him, and CHASED after her. I was yelling "EXCUSE ME!!! WAIT!! MA'AM!! WAIT!" (In the rain). She turned around, and I said "Remember me? Remember me? You just told me I didn't need a student ID? Well, I just waited 30 minutes in line at the bookstore, and they wouldn't help me WITHOUT A STUDENT ID!"

She felt terrible and was nice. She rushed me past the line, into her office, and 2 seconds later I had a student ID in my hot little hand. I looked up at the clock. It was 4:27. The bookstore closed at 4:30. There were only THREE more western civilization books on the shelf, and I knew if I had to wait until Saturday, they would be gone. I decided to risk it and took off RUNNING!!!!

You have NO IDEA how ridiculous I looked. I am by no means in great shape. And, my trusty post-partum elastic pants were falling down as I was booking it across campus. (it's not a big campus- lucky me). And did I mention it was raining??? There were a bunch of too cool for school 19 year olds that were probably making fun of me. But I didn't care. I was getting those books if it killed me. No joke- I RAN into the bookstore as the guy was getting ready to lock the doors. I had water DRIPPING OFF my forehead- RAIN- not sweat. :) I ran right up to the not so nice lady and slammed my student ID on the counter. I wanted to say BOOYA- TAKE THAT, but I smiled and said "I made it."

I got my books.
I got my dumb student ID.
But I lost my patience somewhere along the line.

THIS is why you are supposed to finish college when you are 22. :) Because, in my opinion, the older you get and the more babies you pop out, the less patience you have for waiting in line......

That was entirely too long. Here are some pictures of my sweet kiddos hanging out on my bed. I'd play my college days away all over again if it meant having these sweet babies.

Goodnight.





7 comments:

Mel said...

I don't think it's the waiting that you lost patience for. It's the stupidity and the EXCESS of waiting. Kind of reminds me of the health department....it's okay to wait when something is ACTUALLY getting done and you're not just spinning your wheels!

Katie said...

that was a good laugh!! you are a funny lady.

shannon said...

That was a funny story, Where did Pal get that pretty, pretty princess phone.

Heidi Noel said...

Been there, done that! I remember pushing a screaming kid in the stroller with a screaming toddler by my side trying to get things taken care of. I got A LOT of glares. I had 2 kids when I graduated and I was so proud. Until I realized that everyone else my age had graduated at least 2 years earlier. Oh, well. It may have been hard, but it was worth it. I think patience will find me when I have an empty nest.

Mom of 2 Cuties said...

I am proud of you!

Josie said...

Why didn't you drop kick her? What kind of example are you setting for your kids if you don't stand up for yourself? I'm a little disappointed in you.

the andersons said...

this is hilarious to read, morgan (although I know you weren't laughing at the time!).. thanks for the laugh.