Sunday night I recieved an email notifying me that I was to be the recipient of an $11,000 grant through the State of California. My school had automatically applied for me because I met the criteria. Good grades do pay off! To say I was excited is an understatement. Scott and I were thrilled. Weeks before we had decided that I wouldn't attend University of California/Riverside. They wouldn't let me start in the spring semester without reapplying, and it would be too hard to start in the fall (with a newborn). So we decided that I would attend Azusa Pacific University in the winter (they had no problem with my starting in January). The schedule was more flexible, they had classes in the evening, and there was a campus in Murrieta. (Azusa Pacific is a private, protestant liberal arts school in Los Angeles.) The only catch? APU is a good school, but it is about 3 times the amount of money that UCR was.
When I read the email that I was getting so much money from the state of California (ironic because the state is almost bankrupt) Scott and I felt that Heavenly Father was blessing us for making the right choice. I knew that if I went to UCR, I would be away from my kids alot. It would have been a struggle. But I kept wanting to go there because it was a great school and more affordable. APU would mean I would be around my kids more, but it would be a fortune! So the grant money (which was renewable for 2 years) was my ticket to APU! What a RELIEF!
The email told me that I just needed to fill out one form, mail it back in, and my grant would be finalized. I couldn't figure out which form they were referring to, so I called them.
The nice lady on the phone told me "Oh, it's the G-6 Form. The California High School verification form."
My heart started sinking.
I said "Um..what form??"
Nice lady on the phone: "The form that verifies that you graduated from a California High School."
I felt like I had been kicked in the stomach!! "So I had to have graduated from a high school in California?! Are there any exceptions to that?"
After being on hold for a while, the lady came back, apologized, and said "I'm sorry. There are no exceptions."
And that is how I watched 11,000 of FREE grant money slip through my fingers.
I could still throw up thinking about it!
Guess what, state of California? I don't need your dirty money, anyway! Pssh.
Wednesday, April 28, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
UGH...my heart jumped and then immediately sunk as I read your post! Sucks!
you should leave california just because of that!
That is awful!! Although for some reason not surprising coming from Cali-so sorry dude-that is not right!
DUDE!!!!!!! I'm pretty sure you can purchase a HS California diploma online for a minimal cost. OR you could just borrow Scott's. You chose.
L-A-M-E!
Post a Comment