My husband had a birthday this weekend.
I was excited all week. My mother in law had volunteered to babysit on Saturday night, and I had planned on making him breakfast in bed on Saturday morning.
Our plans didn't quite pan out the way I planned.
And I'm sorry for all of you who have heard this story 10,000 times.
Saturday morning I woke up at about 6:45 feeling really weird. I went to the restroom, walked around for a bit, then went and laid back down. I started feeling worse and worse.
Instead of Scott waking up to breakfast in bed, he woke up to: "I THINK I AM IN LABOR?!?!"
That woke him up with a jolt.
I immediately started panicking because I was only a little over 23 weeks and I knew a baby born at that age didn't have good chances or survival. But I literally thought I was in labor. Back labor.
My back hurt SO bad. SO SO bad. And it was radiating around to the front. It was so bad that I was hunched over our bed, in tears. The worse pain I've ever felt was being in labor with Brent. This pain was up there with that, so I could only assume I had to be in labor.
After a while, I realized the pain was totally coming from a spot in my back. My Mom gets HORRIBLE kidney stones- she has had stints put in, emergency surgeries, you name it. The lightbulb clicked in my head and I realized I am my mother's daughter. It was a kidney stone.
We went to the ER, and as Scott says, I was crying as if my mom had just died. The triage nurse took one look at my belly, they got a wheelchair, and wheeled me up to labor and delivery.
After some tests, lots of vomit, and plenty of tears, the doctor came in and confirmed my suspicion. Kidney Stone.
They put some morphine in my IV and the pain lessened up...oh, for only about an hour. Then it was back with a vengeance. Seriously- it was worse than childbirth. And I've given birth to a 10 1/2 pound baby. It was worse than that!
At one point, I got up to use the restroom, and the pain got so intense that I leaned over and was vomiting in the bathroom sink. Scott was standing there holding the IV back looking completely helpless and I told him to call the nurse.
The nurse came in. I looked at her, completely serious, and said, with vomit dripping down my chin- "I THINK I AM DYING." She promptly put me back in bed and gave me more morphine.
To make a long story short, they sent me home with a bunch of pain killers and said it could be up to 2 weeks until I pass the stone. I just have to wait it out.
Yesterday I thought I was in the clear- felt totally fine. At 5 am, the pesky stone was at it again, giving me grief.
My poor fetus (Baby Lily- whatever you would like to call her), instead of swimming in amniotic fluid, is swimming in morphine and percocet. They said it was safe to take while pregnant, but I still can't help but feel sorry for the kid.
And now I sit here waiting for the stone to pass, gulping down water like nobodies business and peeing every 2 seconds.
Anyway. I'll stop my bellyaching. I know people have it much worse. But I hope the kidney stones steer clear of me forever!
Monday, May 03, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Sorry morgan...doesn't sound like any fun at all!! I hope you can get that sucker out soon!
I think you should have posted some pictures of kidney stones, so the readers could really see what your talking about!! I am in shock for you Mic. I am so sorry you have to do this! May the force be with you as you pass your stone!
Post a Comment