Thursday, May 26, 2011

Not my proudest moment.........

When we decided to get Sophie's ears pierced, many people wondered why on earth I would pierce my 2 yr old's ears. It was perfectly logical to me- why stress her out when she is 10 years old and get her worked up over piercing her ears when I could do it at an age where she would never remember?

My mother in law wasn't exactly thrilled with the idea (even though she never came out and said it, I could read her mind!! haha) and even I was pretty hesitant. We did it anyway and all was well. They didn't get infected and she never messed with them. Easy breezy.

Fast forward 6 months later to bath time. I was taking her shirt off to stick her in the bathtub and she started screaming and told me her ear hurt. I looked and her poor ear was OOZING with green puss and was completely infected. I don't know how I had missed it and realized that in the midst of our move, I had forgotten to spin her earrings every day. I knew they needed to come out so we could clean them and when I pulled the back off the earring, it looked like a scene from a horror movie!

Scott wasn't around, so I had to grab the camera because words wouldn't do justice in describing how bad her poor ears looked. I later found out that ears are just "bleeders" and that's why there was so much blood!

So, lesson learned. We'll try again when she's older.

BEFORE and AFTER:


She looks at my earrings all the time and asks about where her earrings went. Poor kid!

Here are some other random pictures!

My new kitchen- taken while we were still in the midst of moving in. Ignore all the stuff on the counters!! We painted it a color called "Classic Key Lime"... NO ME GUSTA! I couldn't decide between a light green or light yellow- I wanted something cheery. So I found this classic key lime color and it's somewhat of a mix of both colors- it's very subtle though. Anyway, that backfired on me. It looks like snot. It's somewhat growing on me, but I still don't like it. It was so much work to paint it all that we just don't have the energy to redo it right now! Soooo for the next year, a snotty kitchen it is.


And here is the eating area.. you can see the "classic key lime" color a bit better.. and my new kitchen table! I love it. It has a bench on one side that is great for the kids. P.S. About 2 days after I hung the mirror on that wall, I took it down. I realized it was too small for the wall! It now has a new home in the entry way. :)


ANNNNNND here is sweet 9 month old Lily. She still is not crawling, but since she is my 3rd child, I don't mind ONE BIT that she's not crawling! :) She steamrolls from one side of the room to the next, is starting to scoot backwards, but has no desire to crawl. The pediatrician told me to start encouraging her to crawl more and put things out of her reach. I didn't have the heart to tell him that I know EXACTLY why she doesn't crawl. It's because the poor kid is in a car seat 60% of the time! Between preschool, dance, errands, and everything else that goes on in the week, it seems like we are constantly in the car. How in the world is this sweet girl supposed to learn to crawl if she's strapped in a carseat all the time?! She also still refuses to hold her bottle. She's a little stinker! She will randomly do it, depending on how busy I am. If the day is crazy, I will put her in her high chair, set the bottle on the tray, and finish doing what I'm doing. It is so funny- she'll pitch a fit and scream for a few minutes and look straight at me. If I ignore her, I can see her out of the corner of my eye reach forward and grab the bottle, stick it in her mouth, and drink. If she catches me watching her, she will "drop it" and start screaming, pretending like she can't do it. Fortunately for her, the majority of the time I don't mind holding her and holding her bottle. It's the few times a day I get to sit and cuddle with her! I don't want her to grow up...... she might be my last baby and if she doesn't want to crawl or hold her own bottle, that's just fine with me. I'll baby her for as long as she'll let me!

1 comment:

Katie said...

poor sophie!! that must have hurt...