Sunday, November 12, 2006

The Roughley Manor


This weekend was quite eventful. Saturday, I went along with Scott to do an inspection of a Bed and Breakfast, which is pictured above.. My main reason for tagging along was the promise that we would stop at a big outlet store on the way home. The inspection he had to do was in Twentynine Palms.... which is out in the middle of NOWHERE.

It took us about 2 hours to get there. On the way, we ended up lost in Yucca Valley (which gets my vote as the ARMPIT of the California, and probably the United States... you couldn't pay me enough to live there). Yucca Valley decided to block off the major highway that goes through the town for their Veterans Day Parade. Come on people... why couldn't they have done it through one of their city streets? They HAD to go and block the HIGHWAY- the ONLY highway connecting Yuccay Valley and Twentynine Palms. So, we went on a detour to make a long story short.

We ended up in Twentynine Palms. The only thing I had heard about this place was that tons of military training goes on there. Apparently, Joshua Tree National Park is close as well. Other than that, Twentynine Palms doesn't have a whole lot to offer. Scott had a RUSH inspection that the insurance company begged him to get done. It was on this Bed and Breakfast called The Roughley Manor. www.roughleymajor.com check out the website, it's pretty cute!

We went down a dirt road, past a few trailors, and I kept saying "Who the crud would come stay at a bed and breakfast out here?!" Well, much to my suprise, as we saw the main entrance, we pulled in, and there layed a little oasis in the desert. This huge manor was built in the early 1900's and I felt like I was in England staring at a cottage. They had a big fountain, bird baths, and a golden retriever laying on the front porch of the manor. Scott got out and proceeded with much of the inspection. I sat in the car and talked on my phone. He then motioned that I could come out and walk around the grounds. Let me just say, I am one of the morons that would drive out to EGYPT in Twentynine Palms to stay at this place. It was so neat. Unfortunately scott found many violations and will have to write up several things. However, if you ever find yourself in Twentynine Palms, California- the Roughley Manor is the place to stay! : )

On the way home we went to Cabazon Outlets. The only outlets I am used to are the ones in San Marcos, Texas, so these outlets were a bit dissapointing. Not in the stores, but in the types of stores I would buy things at. They had a Coach, Armani, Marc Jacbs, and uppity stores of that nature.. none of which I would set foot in. We ventured into the Gap, which was a mad house and I couldn't take 5 minutes of it, so we left. Our next stop was Carters, which had some cute baby clothes. We got a few little boy outfits, and made our way down to OshKosh. They too had some cute stuff! All in all, we left with 5 cute little onesies and footed pajamas. Nothing exciting.

I ranted and raved the whole way home how stupid California was for not having Big Red. I LOVE DIET BIG RED. More than Diet Coke.... I know I am pregnant, and I shouldn't be too concerned about caffeinated beverages right now, but dang. I came straight home and got online to www.bigred.com and found that there is a distributor for Big Red in San Diego and Los Angeles. I got their phone numbers, and you better believe I will be calling them sometime this week asking them where the heck I can find a Diet Big Red in southern california. In texas, there wasn't a single gas station that DIDN'T have it. I'm on a mission...

We have our fireside tonight to find out what ward we will be in. I really have no probem going to another ward, especially if it means I get released from playing the organ. You better believe if we go to another ward, they are not going to hear a peep out of me that I play the piano or the organ. I know it's not right to hide your talents, but geeze... I played today at church and I think I end up making Sacrament meeting LESS reverant by my gracing of the organ. : ) I am a bit nervous because there is a ward in particular in our stake that is known for their "snootiness." That is the ward we are right on the boundary of. So, I have a feeling we might end up in the snooty ward. What can ya do?!

peace out

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

did ya block it so the snooty people couldnt read it?