Tuesday, April 03, 2007

MANANA!

The long wait is over... almost.

I went to the doctor yesterday and signed all the consent forms for my induction tomorrow. As the nurse was going over the paperwork, I got a nice surprise. I've never had any kids before- I'm obviously not familiar with the process of induction. I had no idea I had to call the hospital an hour before my scheduled arrival to "make sure a bed is available". My stomach immediately sunk into the pit of my body and I interrupted the nurse and said "So, you are saying there is a chance I might NOT be induced tomorrow?!" The only thing that has kept me going the past 2 weeks was knowing the end was in sight! I was looking at tomorrow as the finish line. Then, when I found out that sometimes the hospital is full and inductions get cancelled, I almost wanted to VOMIT. haha. seriously. Because my luck, I will call the hospital at 6:00 a.m. tomorrow, and they will say "Sorry.. we are full. We'll have to reschedule you and we can't get you in until next week."

The nurse explained to me that women in active labor take priority over inductions (even though I am a week and a half past my due date with a massive baby in me). I totally understand the concept, but it was not a fun thing to hear. I am just keeping my fingers crossed that the heavens smile on me tomorrow, and I will hear "Come on in" at my 6:00 am phone call tomorrow. I still can't help but worry.

My doctor sent me yesterday to a Maternal Fetal Specialist to go have a non-stress test. I guess this is something you have to start doing when you are a week past your due date. Little baby Brent passed with flying colors. They explained to me that they were looking for certain variables in his heart rate. The nurse said with many past-due babies it takes some help to get those variables... she said they often have to literally shake the mothers belly, or place a high frequency sound from some type of pitchfork up to a mothers belly which is supposed to scare the baby and get the heartbeat to change. Anyway, Brent needed no assistance and did it all on his own within about 10 minutes. Then I had to go get another ultrasound to check my amniotic fluid levels, see how often he was moving, check the placenta, and some other things. All the results were good- his heart rate was perfect, showed good variability (whatever that means), my placenta was not "aged", and my amniotic fluid levels were still good. It was such a relief. The longer he is in there, the more I worry about something going wrong. I couldn't see his face much in the ultrasound because his head is down so low now it was hard, and his head was facing my back. Every now and then he would turn, but as soon as the ultrasound tech would move her wand over his face to try and get a picture, he'd turn his head again. He wasn't too cooperative!

Scott just called me about 2 seconds ago and said "Well, I just saw a first!" He is currently on the freeway on his way to Long Beach and he told me he just passed a woman swerving on the freeway. When he looked over at her, she was using both of her hands to CURL HER HAIR, and apparently steering with her knees. I've never heard of that one! I guess they have an adaptor that you can use?? Not the smartest thing to curl your hair in the car...

Scott is picking up my mom from the airport today on his way home from work. She gets in at 2:30. I'm excited! I have to go get some last minute things today in preparation for tomorrow (assuming the induction happens as planned!!). I still have yet to boil bottles and pacifiers! I really need to get on it!

Hopefully I will be out of order for a few days. I better be having this baby tomorrow!!

1 comment:

Em said...

Yay!!! Good luck! Be sure to post pictures soon!