Saturday, March 01, 2008

Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's Off for a C-Section I Go...

My insurance company requires that I see an actual MD at least one point in my pregnancy. There is an OBGYN in the same office with my midwife, so I saw him yesterday. It looks like this baby will be coming on July 30th via C-Section. He was/is extremely nervous being that I had a 10.8 lb baby. He said that the trend always is that babies get bigger and I would be taking a big gamble with the safety of the baby. HE also said even if the baby was 10 pounds, the head may be bigger and we could run into problems. I was torn what to do, because my midwife told me something TOTALLY different. She said "Oh, it won't be a problem. Even if the baby is bigger, your body has done it once, and I don't think you will have a problem."

But, seeing as the labor experience with Brent was TRAUMATIC for me, I think I am going to side with the OBGYN. Scott and I deliberated it and we really feel that it's not worth the risk. I am mostly worried about the recovery from a C-Section, but the doctor said "Well, it basically boils down to what you are more concerned about. The health of your baby, or your recovery. It's your choice." WHAT AM I SUPPOSSED TO SAY TO THAT?! He's right. And if, HEAVEN FORBID, this baby is bigger than 10 1/2 pounds, I will be hating life if I try and push him or her out! So, we decided on a C-section- the dr. wants to do it at 39 weeks. He already wants to put me on the surgery schedule, which is crazy, because I still have a long ways to go! The nice thing about it will be the fact that I know ahead of time when I will be having this baby, unlike Brent where my water broke and I ran to the hospital unshowered at 6 in the morning. :)

Brent is getting so big. He recently learned to pull himself up on things and he thinks he is a big shot. He pulls himself up on the couch and beams from ear to ear. It is pretty stinking cute. It is funny how far behind he is, but everyone says boys tend to develop motor skills slower than girls do. I seriously doubt he will be walking by his first birthday.

A friend of a friend sold us a crib today for 20 dollars! It is really nice, too. It was a blessing because we didn't want to pay tons of money for a crib, when we already have one! We debated kicking Brent out of his crib when the new baby needs it, but he will only be 16 months old and I think we will leave him in his crib until he can CRAWL out! So, luckily we have another crib to buffer the few months when we will have 2 babies in cribs. That just gives me the jitters. 2 babies. 2 cribs. I hope we survive!

4 comments:

Katie said...

why not july 31st on my b-day???

Bertie said...

I hear it is the best when you have a C-section scheduled! All my friends apparently LOVE it! So- I'm sure you will too:) Have fun with 2 in cribs- it will go by so much quicker than you think!!:)

emh said...

two in cribs is nuthin'--it's the two in diapers that'll kill ya! :)

Lauren said...

I am hoping to do the opposite of you. I am trying to avoid the c-section this time. I still haven't decided what to do. The recovery really isn't that bad. It is just a longer stay in the hospital and hard to stand up straight for a few days....but after having Brent..I'm sure you will think it is a piece of cake.