Brent is now saying "CHEE" whenever I tell him to say "cheese". He is such a little ham.
Today was not fun at Target. Sophie was in her carseat in the actual bed of the cart, and Brent was riding up front. Of course halfway through, he wants me to hold him, so I am holding him (he has got to be close to 30 pounds) and trying to stear a heavy cart with Sophie in it. Well, when it was time to check out, I set him down next to the cart while I loaded everything on the conveyer. He is really bashful of strangers and usually clings to me in public- if an old lady tries to talk to him, he will break into tears and bury his face in my shoulder. He is getting to that stage, I guess. Anyway. So I set him down right next to the cart and bent over to grab the diapers underneath. I set the diapers on the conveyer belt and realized I still had wipes and laundry detergent underneath. I bent down again to grab the other stuff, turned and looked to my left to make sure Brent was standing there and did a double take. HE WAS GONE. My heart stopped. I dropped the laundry detergent and wipes and, with my heart fluttering, sprinted back towards the isles of Target. Our of the corner of my eye I see his little noggin running towards the purses. I think I screamed when he was gone, because when I finally had him in my arms, everyone was staring at me. It was TERRIFYING. I learned an important lesson- you can't take your eyes off of them for a SECOND- in the time it takes to grab diapers under your cart, poof. They can be gone.
Oh no. The story isn't over. So I scoop him in my arms, pay, and leave. I am holding him, steering the cart, and since Sophie is in the main area of the cart, all of the groceries wouldn't fit, so I was holding some in the same arm that I was holding Brent. Once we walked out of the store and on the sidewalk, I realized that I wouldn't make it to my car without dropping either Brent or bags of target goodies, so I set him down (You think I learned my lesson 5 seconds earlier- but I apparently didn't). I was holding on to him tight, but bent down, once again, to put a few bags underneath. Before I knew it, he yanked as hard as he could, pried his little hand out of mine, and took off RUNNING through the Target parking lot. I left Sophie, my purse, and everything else on the sidewalk and took off after him, screaming "BRENT STOP" at the top of my lungs. An old man was about to run after him for me, but I luckily caught him. Man alive. Then I realized Sophie was still on the other end of the parking lot, and I immediately think she has been abducted. Freak. Now I know why people make their toddlers wear those crazy leashes. I'm now in the market for one. I blame it on Brent, but it is totally my fault. I win the bad mother of the year award. I guess we all have to learn as we go! Poor Brent just gets to be the guinea pig! I should have it down pat when it's Sophie's turn, right?? :)
5 comments:
There is something about Target that turns little kiddos into little devils! Sorry that happened, but cute pics. Brian and I are going to invest in a leash for ave..no shame!
I wish I could say that never happened to me...unfortunately, my son is the KING of playing hide and seek in any store. I would invest in a leashe...but he's almost 5 and can get out of anything. What to do, what to do?
Rex takes off any chance he can get... I feel your pain!
I love stories like these- because then it doesn't make me feel so bad- and that it happens to everyone. A grocery store clerk has brought me one of my children on more then one occasion. It is laughable now though:)
Hahahaha.....yes, I was totally against those toddler leashes, but I am now considering them. Hahah
By the way....we do read your blog! Aubry and I Think the kids are getting so big! You must send me your email so I can invite you to our blog.
susanmoore3@gmail.com
Post a Comment