Thursday, December 25, 2008

California Christmas

At one point on Tuesday afternoon, we decided to be spontaneous (or moreso, I decided) and just throw our stuff in the car, drive all night while the babies were sleeping, and make it to Texas on Christmas Eve. I tend to overthink things and get really nervous about anything too spontaneous (especially when my kids are involved) but I felt ok about it. The rest of Tuesday was spent with me running around in a whirlwind packing suitcases, doing laundry, packing diaper bags, and doing everything else necessary for a long trip! Scott was working in L.A all day and was supposed to be home by 3. We thought we would leave around 8 when it was time for the kids to sleep. We thought, and we thought WRONG, they would get in their car seats and fall asleep. To make a long story short, we got on the freeway and I turned to Scott and said "Should we be doing this?!" I had spent all day packing, all day getting myself and my family back home excited for our arrival, and there we were, on the freeway headed to Texas, and I was getting cold feet. Brent was SCREAMING in the backseat, and he had developed a nasty nose and was acting like he didn't feel well. (Thank you church nursery... nursery on Sunday always means sick on Tuesday at our house- when will it end?!) Anyway. I told Scott "You are the leader of our home. If you don't think this is right, you make the call." I got so freaked out all of a sudden to drive all night without stopping. After more deliberation and MORE screaming in the backseat, before we hit San Diego, we veered right and exited the freeway. We chickened out. WE HAD OUR BAGS PACKED. WE WERE IN THE CAR. ON THE FREEWAY. HEADED TO TEXAS. TO BE WITH MY FAMILY. IT WAS WHAT I WANTED. AND WE CHICKENED OUT!!!!!!!! By the time we pulled back in our driveway at 11:00 p.m that night, Brent was staring at us like we were out of our minds, putting him in pajamas just to drive to San Diego and back. Agghg. Now I know, I am not spontaneous. I used to be many years ago. But in my ripe old age of 25, my spontaneous factor has tanked.

Anyway, we felt it was the best decision for Brent. Poor guy didn't feel good and it didn't look like he would sleep. He probably would have screamed the whole way to Tucson, dozed off for a few hours, then would have screamed the rest of the 18 hours to Kerrville... :) We decided we'll try again in March. And we'll have more than 5 hours notice to plan for the trip...

Here are some pictures from our Christmas. It was nice to be here with our little family. Brent got a kitchen, which my sisters have given me crud about, but he LOVED it, and I'm confident that his getting a kitchen at the age of 20 months won't affect his masculinity down the road.. :) We went over to Grandma Cindy's house in the afternoon and had a good time. And best for me?! My mother in law got Shannon (my sister in law) and I tickets to go see WICKED at the Pantages Theater in L.A in a few weeks. I'm so excited!

Brent was a CUDDLY man today. He just wanted to be held and cuddled on the couch, so there was quite the love fest going on today. He also got his binky all day- I called it a Christmas present. He might as well get as much of it as he wants, because I think his New Years Resolution will be getting rid of this dang binky!! Sophie was sweet as always and loved kicking back and playing with wrapping paper.































This last picture is pretty funny because Uncle Shon's back is pretty messed up. He was laying on the ground in pain and Trevor was trying to pop his back for him. What does Brent do? Run over and lounge on Shon's back like he is a jungle gym... :)

Anyway- I was bummed that I couldn't be with my Texas family for Christmas, but I feel like it was a blessing in disguise!! What a great Christmas we had- Brent was old enough this year to actually like his presents (some of them) and Sophie has arrived and enriched our family even more. Scott calls her a little ball of sweetness. She is so sweet (when she is not screaming) and she has been a great little Christmas present..that came in July! Times like these, when I'm missing my extended family, makes me even more greatful for my OWN little family. Scott has been so great and attentive and worried about me. I get so wrapped up in missing my own family that I forget to focus on the one I have HERE- the one I am making with Scott. It's hard to believe that I am grown up and have a family of my OWN!

Merry Christmas!

1 comment:

Heidi Noel said...

I love your last paragraph. When we moved to Boulder, CO I realized how great it is to enjoy the small family I made. It was a great blessing to have those solo Christmas's. We did it again this year and it was nice and stress free.

I loved "Wicked"! I would go again if I got the chance. Let me know what you think!