Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Have a seat. I've got lots to say.

I have many things bouncing around in my head. No cute pictures of my kids today. Sorry all you Brent and Sophie fans. :)

First of all, I have a theory. It's called "The Forbidden Peanut Butter and Jelly Theory". The theory basically consists of the fact that before I had children, a PB&J would never cross my mind. But something triggers in childbirth that makes a mother want to eat a little bite of the sandwich you are making your little one. That smear of peanut butter and oh so yummy jelly becomes irresistable as I place it in front of Brent. I know he won't eat it, so in an effort to not waste food, I end up eating it. And this process repeats, day after day, even though I know darn well he won't eat the sandwich. But I continue making them. And I continue eating them. But in my mind, it's ok that I'm eating it. Because why let a good PB&J go to waste? It's sick and I have a problem. HAng on a sec. I need to take a bite of my PB&J before I move on to the next thought.. (You think I'm joking? I'm not- I have one of those suckers sittin right here next to me..yum.)

Secondly- did anyone watch the Oscars? And the "Jai Ho" performance from Slumdog Millionaire? Why in the WORLD did that win? The guy just sang the words "Jai Ho" over and over again. Everyone, including Oprah, thought it was brilliant. I thought it was dumb.

Third- back to food, I am totally stressing out because Brent won't eat. The kid has a small list of acceptable foods and that is that. They consist of yogurt, fruity cheerios, any type of fruit (that is the only victory we have), fiber one bars, chicken nuggets, and an occasional nutrigrain waffle. All I can say about that is, he doesn't take after my side of the family. My mom was mashing up enchiladas before I had teeth and I'm sure I was eating Pork chops by the time I was 2.... :) There were no finicky eaters in my family and I can't wrap my mind around why he won't eat even a PB&J?! He could at least eat it so that I don't have to...

And speaking of Brent, does it make anyone else sad that their kids are growing? I know its the natural progression of things, but it LITERALLY MAKES MY HEART ACHE that he is growing. He is a little cuddle bug and loves to sit on laps and snuggle. I will randomly tear up at those cuddle times because I know my days are numbered with him sitting on my lap willingly. I've talked to many moms who are perfectly happy and content with their kids growing, and are excited to see what their next stage of childhood brings. Not me. I am clutching on to his babyhood for dear life. Scott and I sat and watched old video clips of him last night when he was Sophie's age and my heart hurt. I miss my baby. He is getting so big and independent. Luckily I have Sophie and I can relish in her babyness (I know that's not a word..) I love her chubby baby wrists and her dimpled hands. And I sometimes have to stop myself from wanting to take a bite out of her YUMMY CHEEKS!!!!!!

And my last thought of the day is regarding gas bubbles. That's right. The problem I have with them is that anytime I feel a little popping in my stomache my mind recognizes that feeling as a baby moving. ANYONE ELSE HAVE THAT?! I know good and well I am not pregnant (thank you trusty IUD), but every now and then I feel a little bubble or air or something and I stop and think "Oh my gosh. Was that a baby moving? Am I 5 months pregnant and not know it??" It's those first feelings of movement- around 17 weeks where it is flutters or popcorn popping that I am talking about. Now that I've been pregnant, those "air bubbles" TOTALLY feel like a baby is moving around in there. And it FREAKS ME OUT!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Happy Tuesday.

5 comments:

Lindsey said...

Totally relate! Especially to the gas bubbles...hee hee

Katie said...

I had the exact same thoughts about the song...

Josie said...

I'll be honest with you...I didn't read that whole post. It was way too long so I skimmed most of it.

I want to address the first paragraph, though. I don't see why you're so surprised at wanting pb&j. I'm pretty sure we've been through this before...at Kindercare...with chicken nuggets, Italian dunkers and whole milk.

Susan said...

Watched the oscars...was super offended by the ex mormon kid who wrote the script for the movie MILK. did you hear that???!!

the andersons said...

I have to admit that I have had the gas bubble thing too! It's kind of shocking isn't it! I, too, am loving the baby days. They grow up too darn fast!