Thursday, February 19, 2009

New member of the family...

Here is the latest addition to our family.



It is the naughty mat, and Brent is going to become VERY familiar with it.. :) We don't spank, and we need some other creative ideas for disciplining him. I've heard about naughty mats and timeouts, but I assumed he would never go for that. Well, the other day he threw something at me (fun, huh) so I picked him up and set him down in the corner and told him he was in time out, and that he had to sit there for 2 minutes. TO MY UTTER SHOCK, he sat there. HE did not get up until I went and picked him up, told him that we don't throw things, and he went about his day. So, the naughty mat will be in full force now. He is such a little stinker. He knows he is not allowed to hit, but every now and then he gets so frusturated and he wants to hit something. I can see the fury in his eyes..he will raise his hand and I will say "Brent- don't you do it." He will then turn and hit the wall, the chair, and lately he hits himself. THen he looks at me with a look like "There. I showed you." I try so hard not to laugh. I guess since he knows he can't hit us, he figures its just as good to hit himself or an inanimate object. What blows me away is that our whole reasoning for not spanking was "How can we teach him not to be physical and hit people if we are hitting him?" Obviously that doesn't make ANY sense because we don't spank, yet he still hits constantly. Yowzers.

Here are some cute pictures of him at the park today. He is getting so big. Sophie was hanging out in her stroller soaking up the rays while Brent burned some energy. It was a beautiful day today.



2 comments:

Bertie said...

Oh, you are at the fun stages!! Yes- good for you and not laughing, I ruined any chance of my kids EVER being disciplined because I chose to laugh vs. hiding it and teaching them. DANG IT!

Goodluck with the naughty mat- I've heard it works wonders! Just ask Super Nanny!

Mom of 2 Cuties said...

I love his little tennis shoes! He is growing up too fast. Good luck w/ the naughty mat. Sometimes, I wish time outs worked for husbads, too:)