Saturday, March 21, 2009

Long time no blog..

We've been busy around here. Sicknesses, a trip to Texas, and then getting back to normal have taken over our life!! Our trip to Texas was so fun and the kids were ANGELS on the plane. I was popping Imodium AD like nobodies business as we were about to board because I was making myself SO terrified and scared that Brent would be a little devil. But it was all for nothing because he was seriously an angel. I'll post pictures from that trip as soon as I get them from my sister. :) Of course we forgot the camera..

Many of you know that Brent has some speech problems. Well, I guess you can't call them speech problems if he is not talking. It's more of a NOT TALKING problem. :) He was evaluated by a speech therapist and a diagnostician on Thursday in our home. They were here for a few hours and played with him and observed how he interacts with me and his toys, etc. Afterwards they sat down with me and told me their findings, which SHOCKED ME. They said his expressive speech capabilities are equivalent to an 11 month old. I was floored- I knew it was bad, but not that bad! They said he is a perfect, smart, healthy little boy in every other area- he just needs some prodding to get the speech development moving along. So we are going to have someone come out once a week for the next few months to work with him one on one. I am excited to see his progress and for him to hopefully be able to communicate some of his needs with us in the future. (For example, he doesn't even say "Daddy". He knows who "Daddy" is and will point to Scott, but won't say it) He says MAYBE 5 words, but he never initiates speech. We always have to say "Say More" and then he wills say "More". Anyway, they said it is very common and hopefully within a few months he will be caught up.

Sophie is a little doll, as usual, and has 2 teeth now! They broke through right before we left for Texas and I think they are hurting her. She looks so stinking cute with them, though! And careful- SHE BITES!

I'll update with pictures soon. I have to go take a midterm. Blech.

No comments: