Tuesday, July 07, 2009

So Michael Jackson was CREEPY, no doubt, but his music was THE BOMB! Every time I turn on the TV lately, someone is talking about him and one of his songs are playing. Thanks to that, I CONSTANTLY have "Human Nature", "Man In the Mirror", or any number of his songs stuck in my head. I finally broke down and added them to my blog. Hopefully the more I hear them, the more I will get sick of them, and then they will leave my head. :) (If you notice, there is one lone Genesis song- I just couldn't bring myself to make Phil collins leave my playlist.)

Soooo I am 26 years old today. And it feels old! I know it's not old, but I feel like I am getting further away from 20 and closer to 30. But I hear 30 is the new 20 so I'm not scared. I had a great birthday- thanks for all the phone calls and well wishes. Scott surprised me and got me a sewing machine. No joke- I sat with it, still in the box, on my lap all morning and just stared at it. I was like a kid at Christmas- SO EXCITED! However, it took me all afternoon to figure out how to thread the bobbin and then I started getting angry so I put it away. My mom is coming to visit in a few weeks, so we'll bust it out and she can give me some pointers on how to work the dang thing!

Something else completely off topic, but that I am so greatful for, is a professor of mine last semester. I had to take child development and really liked my professor. Well, the semester ended, I got an A, and wished the class good riddance. It was interesting but I was glad to be finished with it. Meanwhile, Brent has been giving us a really hard time lately (well, if you call the last year "lately"), and there have been nights that I am in tears and Scott is sitting dumbfounded- we have NO idea what to do with him. He is extremely difficult and is still not talking very well. He is receiving speech therapy once a week but it's not doing much. He doesn't even try to talk- he just SCREAMS. It is an ear piercing, goose-bump giving, scream. He has been evaluated several times and everyone tells me there is "nothing wrong with him"- just a speech delay. His pediatrician dismisses all of my concerns and says that he will talk when he is ready, but there is nothing else wrong with him. The Early Intervention program says he is also fine, just stubborn and a late talker. So, while everyone is dismissing my concerns, I am frusturated because I have no idea how to handle my own child in the meantime until he decides to start talking. I know I'm making it sound like he doesn't talk- that is not true. He talks and says quite a bit- the things that are extremely important to him. "I want outside". "I want juice". "I want go bye-bye". "I want Daddy". "I want Toe-Tee (sophie)". "I want up". "I want waffles". "I want cereal." "I want chicken". And the list goes on. He also says tree, shoes, duck, dog, bird, all gone, more, please, thank you, ball, teeth, eyes, nose, again, bath, butterfly, and many other words. But when he is angry? He doesn't even attempt to use words. I know some of it is normal 2 yr old behavior, but I have seen many 2 yr olds and he is above and beyond anything I've ever seen.

So, this is where my old professor comes in. She has her Ph.D in child development and the other day when I was at my wits end, feeling like my pediatrician was ignoring my concerns, the early intervention team was ignoring my concerns, I decided to email her. I felt stupid, worrying that with all of her students she would A) Not remember me, or B) Not have time, or C) Not be interested in giving free advice. But I was desperate and sent her a long email asking for advice. Not even an hour later, she emailed me back telling me she was extremely interested in talking with me and would love to talk on the phone. She asked for my number and when a good time to call would be. She called me yesterday and we talked for over an HOUR on the phone- she validated me, listened to me, and gave me the BEST advice I have ever received. It was amazing- Scott and I are now referring to her as "the toddler whisperer". I realized that was all I needed- I needed a professional to hear my concerns, VALIDATE them, and offer me advice. It was a far cry from "Your kid is fine, lady. Stop worrying and he'll talk when he's ready"- the answer I've recieved from his pediatrician and early intervention people.

Something interesting is that she told me when Brent starts screaming, to literally fall on the floor and play dead. When she told me this on the phone, I started laughing and thought she had lost her marbles. When I realized she was dead serious, I payed more attention and vowed to give it a try. Later in the afternoon, Brent started with his screaming fits, and I fell to the floor and acted dead. He IMMEDIATELY stopped and just stood there. I'm sure his little 2 yr old mouth was hanging open, totally confused. After a few minutes, I got up and said "Were you trying to tell Mommy something? What do you need?" He forgot that he was screaming and started playing with something else. Not even an hour later, we were sitting at the dinner table and he started screaming. Scott and I both dropped our heads on the table and buried them in our arms (remember the game Heads Up 7up in school??). Once again, he immediately stopped and was completely silent and staring at us. I'm sure he thinks we have completely lost it, but so far it's working. It's not too helpful in the grocery store, because I can't exactly drop to the floor and play dead, or if we are at someone elses house. But I am doing it while we are home, and I am HOPING it will break him of this screaming nonsense. She said it could take 2 weeks or more before he starts putting 2 and 2 together and realizing screaming isn't working anymore.

So if you happen to be in the neigborhood, pass my house, look in the window, and see my laying face down on the floor with a 2 yr old standing over me, don't worry. :)

3 comments:

Heather said...

Hey Morgan-I blogstalk you too-I jusst didn't write to you because I didn't know if you would remember me or not-I, of course remember you because of the many conversations Scott and I had about how much he loved you and how wonderful you were. I remember going to lunch with him before you guys got married and he talked the whole time about how amazing you are-I have never seen his face light up like that! So you can look at my blog anytime!! And tell Scott that "Candice-Go-Can-dye" says hello!!

Katie said...

glad you had a great birthday! i hope you enjoyed bob's singing...

the andersons said...

Happy Birthday Morgan... hope it was a good one. And I'm glad you asked someone else for advice... and that someone finally took you seriously. I hope it works!