Today was a sad day for me.
When Brent was about 20 months old and I noticed something was off with his speech, the Early Intervention program assigned a lady named Sella to come to our home once a week and work with Brent to stimulate his language.
I believe that Sella was plopped into our home straight from heaven.
She sat and listened to me cry, she reassured me, encouraged me, loved Brent, worked hard with him, and put up with his antics. She grew to be part of our family and Brent would randomly throughout the week say "Want Sella".
I certainly didn't teach Brent how to count to 20 (ok, ok- 20 on a good day, 14 on a normal day) and recognize all of his numbers. I definitely didn't teach him to recognize ovals, octagons, rectangles, triangles, and squares. Sella did it all. (I helped... I'm not gonna let her take ALL the credit..haha!)
Anyway, when Brent turned 3 on Sunday, he aged out of the Early Intervention program.
Today was a big day. He had his first day of speech therapy with the school district at the preschool and his LAST day of time with Sella.
As I watched his cute little hands wrap themselves around Sellas legs today and as I watched him wave to her as she walked down our driveway, yelling "Bye Sella!!", the TEARS CAME. My poor little guy has no idea he will never see Sella again. Next Wednesday will come and she won't.
I tried to tell myself to KNOCK IT OFF, and tried to tell myself that this is just part of growing up. He won't have his kindergarten teacher forever. Am I going to be crying on the last day of kindergarten? (Heaven help me if I end up being THAT parent..) So I sucked up the tears and we closed the door. Then the tears came again. Brent looked up at me and saw the tears. He held up his hands and said "What happened?" So I sucked it up again once more and put my big girl pants on.
I am SO thankful for Sella and for the hope and reassurance she gave us with Brent.
But I'm also glad that Brent is growing and learning. The fact that he doesn't need Sella anymore is something to celebrate, so that is what I will focus on.
Onward we go!!
Wednesday, April 07, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I hope his first day went well!!
What a sweet post, brought a tear to my eye! GO Brent!
Post a Comment