Lily had her 4 month checkup on Wednesday. She only weighed 10 lbs 12 oz, which puts her right under the 4th percentile for weight. I was shocked! We always knew she was small, but not THAT small! The scary part is that guess what she weighed at her 2 month appointment? 10 lbs 11 oz. So that means IN TWO MONTHS she only gained ONE OUNCE. ONE OUNCE?!?! The doctor is a bit concerned and obviously so am I. He told me to eat more protein and more fat (the last thing I need to do) because he doesn't think my breastmilk is "fattening" enough. How ironic is that?! I've got plenty of fat on my body, so why isn't it finding its way into my milk?! He gave me 2 weeks to try and fatten up my milk and then I have to take her in to be weighed again. It's such a frusturating process for me. Breastfeeding is not an enjoyable thing for me- it's WORK. I do it not because I like it- I do it because I know it's whats best for a baby. So to hear that what I THOUGHT was best for her is not "nourishing" her was really disheartening for me. It boggles my mind that she only gained ONCE OUNCE in TWO MONTHS!! What is crazy is that at 4 months, she only weighs 4 more OUNCES than Brent did at BIRTH. Crazy, huh?! Anyway, the pediatrician says that I might have to start supplementing with formula. I'm so emotional about the whole thing right now. It's an emotional thing to ween a baby (for me it is). It's almost like I feel like I'm a failure or that I'm doing her a disservice. Although Brent was formula fed and he has been one of my healthiest kids and is completely fine. So rationally, I KNOW that formula is fine and that Lily will be fine. It's just those dang hormones and emotions that get twisted up amongst everything else. Had to vent about that!!
The day before I took Lily to the pediatrician we gave her a taste of rice cereal. After the visit, he told us to hold off on rice cereal or any solids until she was 6 months old- apparently that is the new recommendation?? He said also because she is so tiny that he wants her to fill up on the fattening milk before she fills up on solids like rice cereal that don't have much fat in them. Makes sense I guess. So her little taste was her last for 2 more months! :) She did so good though- we were shocked! She ate it like she's eaten it her entire life.
I put up some pictures of Lily in her highchair and a video of her eating rice cereal. But I'm also adding a picture of Sophie at the exact same age, in the exact same highchair so you can see the difference! See how much bigger Sophie is than Lily?!
LILY AT 4 MONTHS:
SOPHIE AT 4 MONTHS:
And, just so he's not left out- Brent at 4 months (we already knew he was a beast of a baby!!)
Video of Lily eating cereal..
2 comments:
She looks so tiny in that highchair! And she ate it up like a champ!
Good job, Lil! Sophie looks exactly like Brent, just the feminine version wearing pink!
Post a Comment